Mudras are easy to perform anytime, although sitting in the lotus position and focusing on the healing can be an advantage. Although mudras can be used for healing certain ailments, regular practise of mudras will contribute to your overall good health and can be used as a preventive measure. Continuous practice of the mudras will create minute changes in your body using pulse centres on parts of your hands, which trigger certain healing processes within the corresponding body part.
Hasta Mudra (Hand Mudra)
The physical body is made up of five elements namely, Air, Water, Fire, Earth and Sky. A mudra is a gesture or positioning of the hands intended to direct energy flow and to connect parts of the body to the brain as life force energy flows through the body. Certain yoga mudras are believed to instigate particular energy flows and stimulate different emotions, spiritual reactions and reactions in the body. By pressing together, curling, touching or pointing different fingers or parts of the hands in different ways, you can stimulate reflexes from the hand to the brain.
Mudra Therapy: Hand Alignments for Holistic Health
Believe it or not, your health is in your hands! Our hands are particularly blessed with virtues of wellness. The four fingers and the thumb represent the five major building blocks or the ‘Panchamahabhootas’ of which the entire universe is made viz. Sky (Ether), Air, Fire, Water and Earth.
According to natural sciences, disease is nothing but a limitation that emerges in the continuity and balance of these five elements.
Philosophy of Mudra Therapy
The natural sciences of Mudra therapy believe that the five fingers correspond to the five basic elements viz. Ether, Air, Fire, Water and Earth.
Thumb – The fire (Agni)
Index finger – The air (Vayu)
Middle finger – The ether (Aakasha)
Ring finger – The earth (Prithvi)
Small finger – The water (Jala)
In order to bring back the balance in the five elements, there are some specific methods of touching and aligning the fingers with each other. These are referred to as ‘Hast-Mudras’ and this easy and doable therapy may be practiced anytime as an augmented relief from your malady as well as a handy tool for restoring your wellness.
Type of Mudras
The 10 important Hand Mudras are explained below:
- It helps in meditation and concentration and reduces negativity of the mind
- It improves memory and with regular practice students can improve grades and intelligence
- It aids in alleviating headache, insomnia and hypertension and reduces anger
- Regular practice of this Mudra helps in reducing ear pain and watering of the ears
- If this Mudra is done for 1 hour daily it can benefit in hardness of hearing
- The bones become strong and is beneficial in heart disease
- It strengthens gums and is helpful in throat problems and thyroid disease
4. Prithvi Mudra or the Mudra of EarthIn this Mudra, the tips of the thumb and the ring finger are touched together. The other fingers are kept straight.Benefits:
- Regular practice of this Mudra is helpful in body weakness, thinness and also obesity
- It improves the functioning of the digestive system and reduces the deficiency of vitamins
- It gives energy and lustre to the body
- It awakens the dormant power of prana, gives energy, health. It is beneficial in diseases of the eye and improves eyesight, raises body resistance to disease, reduces deficiency of vitamins, removes tiredness
- During fasting it reduces hunger pangs and thirst
- In insomnia, doing this hand posture, along with Gyan Mudra, helps in bringing on sleep
6. Apan Mudra or the Mudra of DigestionThis mudra is made by joining the tips of the thumb, the middle finger and the ring finger keeping the other fingers straight.Benefits:
- Toxins are removed from the body and the body becomes pure. It also relieves constipation, piles, diseases caused by vayu or air, is helpful in diabetes, stoppage of urine, kidney defects and dental problems
- It is beneficial in stomach and heart diseases and brings out perspiration
- It is helpful in Heart and Vayu diseases and gives health. People with a weak heart should do it daily. It is very beneficial for people who have suffered a heart attack in the recent past
- It removes gas from the stomach, aids in asthma, headache and high blood pressure
- If it is performed 5 to 7 minutes before climbing stairs, it aids in easy climbing
- It balances the body, reduces body weight and obesity. It increases body heat and helps in digestion
- It reduces hypertension and cholesterol and builds strength
- It is beneficial in diabetes and liver defects
- It reduces dryness of the skin and improves skin lustre and softness
- It is useful in skin diseases, acne and blood defects. It improves facial beauty
- This mudra increases heat in the body and can cause sweating even in winter if done for a long time
- It helps in cold, coryza, asthma, cough, sinus problems and low blood pressure
- It dries phlegm